I awoke this morning to photos of the damage and destruction that Sandy brought to communities across the East Coast. I feel fortunate to have been in one of the neighborhoods in New York that seems to have been spared from the worst of it. Most of it looked like this:
If that is getting let off easy by Sandy, you can only imagine how others fared. Even though friends a mere 2 miles from me lost power and experienced terrible flooding, I never lost power, cable or internet and, high above sea level, no flooding occurred on my block. Truly grateful. My thoughts are with everyone out there who experienced the wrath of Sandy. I’m hoping to get out there today to help those more affected by the storm.
Although I didn’t lose power, I was prepared for it and had, among other things, baked a delicious Olive Anchovy Mozzarella Quick bread to munch on during the storm. I adapted it from Courtney’s Sun-Dried Tomato & Mozzarella Quick Bread. I wanted to make Courtney’s version but was missing a few of the key ingredients, so I improvised a bit. Instead of all purpose flour, I used whole wheat. Agave syrup replaced the sugar; seasonings were a tad different. Instead of sun-dried tomatoes, I used olives and anchovies….writing the list of swaps just made me realize how my bread wasn’t actually that similar to her recipe!
The result? A wonderfully salty and savory combination of deliciousness. Even my friend who is not on the anchovy fan bandwagon liked it. So, so, so good and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and bake. If you are not a fan of anchovies (I, personally, love love love anchovies), you can omit them and just bulk up the olives to get a similar salty – cheesy taste.
The Anchovies I used:
I hope you try it soon! As the hurricane whizzed by last night, I enjoyed the bread with a warm bowl of tomato soup. Hit the spot. I could also see this bread pairing well with a nice bowl of spaghetti.
Olive Anchovy Mozzarella Quick Bread
(Take a look at Sweet Tooth Sweet Life’s Courtney’s original Sun-Dried Tomato & Mozzarella Quick Bread recipe)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup olives, finely diced
- 3/4 ounce anchovy filets very finely minced (alternaively, 3 small anchovy filets or 3/4 tablespoon anchovy paste)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in the minced anchovies and olives. Make sure it is evenly incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the oil into the dry mixture, mixing well until incorporated well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, Greek yogurt, and milk.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened. If your dough is still a little dry, add an extra splash of milk.
- Spoon into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Sooo good….Let me know how it goes!