Sweet potatoes are a great seasonal food. As an added bonus, it’s also a gluten free food. I love to roast sweet potatoes alone, cooking it with quinoa or incorporating it into a wide range of soups. The other day, I whipped up this seasoning for my sweet potatoes, and it turned out so, so great. I used oyster sauce (a staple in Asian cuisine that can be found in most grocery stores or Asian specialty markets) which added a great flavor to the sweet potatoes. Because the oyster sauce is very salty on its own, I omitted salt from the recipe.
These sweet potatoes definitely had a spicy kick to them! They definitely taste better than my poor camera is able to capture 🙂
Hope you enjoy it!
SPICY ROASTED SWEET POTATO ROUNDS
2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 dash of chile powder
1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it!)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the olive oil, oyster sauce, chile powder, cayenne pepper and rosemary in a medium sided bowl. I like to add a splash of water because the oil and oyster sauce are both relatively thick.
3. Toss the sweet potato rounds in the liquid mixture, ensuring that the rounds are well-coated.
4. Place the rounds atop a baking sheet.
5. Roast for 20 minutes, turning the rounds over once (after 10 minutes) to ensure they are evenly cooked. If your rounds are cut more thickly, bake them for a couple of minutes longer or until they are nice and soft.
It’s great on salads or on top of a chunky veggie soup with ricotta cheese or greek yogurt.