Today is National Pancake Day. So says IHOP. For the eighth year, IHOP restaurants are offering a free stack of buttermilk pancakes today from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. In return for this freebie goodness, you’re asked to consider donating to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and other local charities. It’s been a great success — the restaurant has raised over $10 million over the past eight pancake holidays!
And for anyone interested in a brief history of why pancakes are primarily still a breakfast food, you should read Slate article. Now you know way too much about pancakes in America, right?
I’m not a huge IHOP fan but if it’s for a good cause, I’m definitely game. Lo and behold, National Pancake Day coincides with the recent pancake kick I’ve been on. In honor of this wondrous day, I’m sharing my vegan banana chia pancakes. I’ve been eating them regularly for breakfast the past month, and even
tricked convinced my carnivorous and ovo-lacto vegetarian friends to eat this. If you try it, let me know how you like it!
Vegan Banana Chia Pancakes
Recipe makes enough for 2.
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chia Seeds (I actually use Nature’s Path’s Qi’a Chia, Buckwheat, Hemp Mix — definitely ups its nutritional profile)
- Mash your banana. An easy trick I’ve learned is to mash it while it’s still in the peel.
- Combine mashed banana, flour, salt, baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the almond milk, agave nectar, oil and chia seeds into the dry ingredients. Whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with a cooking spray. Spoon two large dollops onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula. Cook until browned on the other side.
- OPTIONAL BUT OPTIMAL: Smear peanut or almond butter on top of a pancake as soon as it’s off the skillet. Stack your next pancake on top of peanut butter. Enjoy the melty deliciousness!
The warmed peanut butter is a perfect complement to these banana chia pancakes. Delicious!